Joseph Dworetzky focuses his practice on insolvency matters and commercial and governmental litigation. He has represented clients in hundreds of cases under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. He has served as trial counsel in numerous high profile litigation matters in state and federal courts.
From 1993 to 1996, Joe served as City Solicitor for the City of Philadelphia and was a member of Mayor Rendell’s cabinet. Prior to joining the City, he was a Managing Partner at Drinker Biddle & Reath in Philadelphia.
Joe graduated first in his class, summa cum laude, from Villanova University School of Law in 1977. He was also elected to the Order of Coif and was an associate editor of the Villanova Law Review. Joe received many honors, including the Saint Ives Medal for the best overall grade point average and the Pulling Award for best law review article. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Purdue University in 1972 with a double major in Philosophy and Writing. From 1977 to 1978, Joe served as a law clerk for the Honorable Ellsworth A. Van Graafeiland of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Joe has been regularly recognized by Chambers USA as a Rank 1 bankruptcy attorney (2004-2009), a Star Practitioner ( 2010-2014), an Eminent Practitioner (2015 – 2017) and a Senior Statesman (2018), with the publication describing him as “one of the smartest lawyers in the country.” Joe has regularly been included in The Best Lawyers in America and that publication named him “Philadelphia Lawyer of the Year” three times: in 2012, for Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights Law, and in 2014 and 2018 for Bankruptcy Litigation. He is a Fellow and was a member of the Board of Directors of the American College of Bankruptcy. Leadership Philadelphia named him one of the “101 Connectors” in the Philadelphia area. In 2009, Governor Rendell appointed him to serve as one of five members of the Philadelphia School Reform Commission, responsible for the oversight of the Philadelphia School District, and he served on that commission until 2014.
- In re Image Masters, Inc., 421 B.R.164 (Bankr. E.D. Pa., 2009)
- Jones v. ABN Amro Mortgage Group, Inc., 551 F. Supp. 2d 400 (E.D. Pa. 2008)
- Pennsylvania Department of Education v. Chester-Upland School District Special Board of Control, 938 A.2d 1 (Pa. 2007)
- JP Morgan Chase Bank v. Liberty Mutual Insurance Co., 189 F. Supp. 2d 24 (S.D. N.Y. 2002)
- Public Advocate v. Philadelphia Gas Commission, 674 A.2d 1056 (Pa. 1996)
- Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission v. School District of Philadelphia, 681 A.2d 1366 (Pa. 1996)
- Mid-Atlantic Power Supply Ass’n v. Pennsylvania PUC, 755 A. 2d 723 (Commw. Ct. 2000)
- In re Penn Central Transp. Co., 944 F.2d 164 (3d Cir. 1991)
- In re Remington Rand Corp., 836 F. 2d 825 (3d Cir. 1988)
- Penn Central Corp. v. United States, 814 F. Supp. 1116 (Sp. Ct. R.R.R.A. 1993)