Daniel Segal’s practice includes both complex trial and appellate level matters. Substantive areas in which he practices include civil litigation involving defamation, First Amendment, intellectual property, health care, professional ethics, education, civil rights, securities, antitrust, academic research misconduct, and employment.
Dan is a 1973 magna cum laude graduate of Harvard Law School, where he was Executive Editor of the Harvard Law Review. Dan received his BA, magna cum laude, in 1968 from Yale University. In 1969, he received a master’s degree in international relations from the London School of Economics. From 1974 to 1975, Dan served as law clerk to the Honorable David Bazelon, Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. From 1975 to 1976, he served as law clerk to the Honorable Thurgood Marshall, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court. From 1976 to 1979, Dan was Assistant Professor of Law at the University of Pennsylvania Law School. He was also the Thomas A. O’Boyle Adjunct Professor of Law at the Law School and has taught constitutional law on a regular basis.
Dan is a past president of the Juvenile Law Center, the Auerbach Central Agency for Jewish Education, and Akiba Hebrew Academy. He is also a past Chair of the Philadelphia Soviet Jewry Council. He is currently Vice President of Hillel of Greater Philadelphia and President of the Board of Overseers of the University of Pennsylvania Hillel Foundation. He is a member of New Israel Fund’s International Board.
Dan is active in the Philadelphia Bar Association, having served as a member of its Commission on Judicial Selection and Retention. He also serves as a Settlement Master for the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas and is a Master of the Bench of the University of Pennsylvania Law School American Inn of Court.
- John Dougherty v. Philadelphia Newspapers, et al., Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Eastern District, No. 25-EAL-2016
- Executive Risk Indem., Inc. v CIGNA Corp., 74 A.3d 179 (Pa. Super. Ct. 2013)
- Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania v. St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, 982 F.Supp.2d 518 (E.D. Pa. 2013)
- Braun v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., et al., Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Eastern District, No. 32 EAP 2012
- Hummel v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., et al., Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Eastern District, No.33 EAP 2012
- Pennsylvania Medical Soc. v. Department of Public Welfare, 614 Pa. 574, 39 A.3d 267 (2012)
- Wallace et al. v. Powell, et al., 288 F.R.D. 347 (M.D. Pa., 2009)
- Computer Aid, Inc. v. Hewlett Packard Co., 56 F. Supp. 2d 526 (E.D. Pa. 1999)
- Conrail v. United States, 883 F.Supp. 1565 (S. Ct. Reg. Rail Reorg. 1995)
- Craig v. Lake Asbestos of Quebec, Ltd., 843 F.2d 145 (3d Cir. 1988)
- General Refractories Co. v. Fireman’s Fund Ins. Co., 806 A.2d 469 (Pa Super 2002)
- Goodman v. Lukens Steel, 482 U.S. 656 (1987)
- Lutz v. Chromatex, Inc., 730 F.Supp. 1328 (M.D. Pa. 1990)
- McDermott v. Biddle, 436 Pa. Super, 94, 647 A.2d 514 (Pa.)