University of Pennsylvania Law School
One Logan Square
18th & Cherry Streets, 27th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103-6933
Ronald Schiller, the Vice Chair of the firm, has a broadly diversified trial and arbitration practice. Ron is a business litigator. Ron advises financial institutions, insurers and reinsurers, technology companies and manufacturers and service providers on litigation avoidance and strategies for trial and settlement. He has hands-on involvement on a routine basis on sensitive and high exposure matters to his clients. He is frequently brought in to litigation when the client desires a fresh evaluation or for the litigation to be prepared for trial and tried. He has also taken over matters for appeal and currently has an active appeal docket.
Ron has represented the world’s largest insurers in sophisticated coverage, bad faith, and reinsurance disputes, including in several trials. Since January 2012, he and his team have prepared several insurance coverage disputes for trial, with one ending in a pretrial Phase One result in favor of the client and the other being delayed for a Phase Two coverage trial in 2013 or 2014. Ron has also represented government contractors and universities in patent and licensing disputes that went to trial in 2012, and his team has represented commercial online services, telecommunication companies, and backbone and equipment providers in high-stakes commercial litigation against competitors and municipalities.
In the last few years alone, Ron and his teams have tried two bad faith cases in state court and handled one multi-week insurance coverage trial in federal court over a claim for approximately $100 million of claimed indemnity and defense exposure. He has also tried two non-jury cases in state and federal courts between insurers, both to wins for the firm’s clients. He has prepared and successfully tried arbitrations. He has also been hired to take over cases shortly before trial, and to take over complex litigation for post-trial proceedings for insurers and reinsurers.
In 2012, Ron tried two Intellectual Property matters, one for a state university over patent rights in a genetic mutation used for diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer’s Disease (three week trial in federal court), and one in arbitration over licensing fees claimed for sophisticated surveillance technology. Ron and his team have also been retained for litigation involving outsourced technology deals for public institutions and contractors, trying one such seminal dispute to a jury win of several million dollars.
The respected English publisher Chambers & Partners recognized Ron in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, noting that clients admire him as “someone who consistently wins big cases.” He has repeatedly been selected by his peers as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer and has been named in The Best Lawyers in America.
University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1984, JD
Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1981, BA, summa cum laude
Honors and Awards
- Named a Leader in Insurance Law by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Best Lawyers in America, selected as a Best Lawyer in America in Insurance Law and Commercial Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America, 2014 Philadelphia Lawyer of the Year - Insurance Law
- Named a Local Litigation Star by Benchmark: The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys
- University of Pennsylvania Law Review, Associate Editor and Editor
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Business Litigation Section
- Insurance Committee
Teaching / Lecturing
- “Attorney-Client Privilege and Work Product Issues,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Discovery in Bad Faith Claims: Strategies, Common Disputes, and Emerging Issues program, December 5, 2012
- “Bad Faith Claims Litigation,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, May 12, 2011
- “Asbestos and Other Long-Tail Claims: Europe, the UK, and the Latest on US Tort Reform,” 9th Annual C5 European Summit on Reinsurance Claims, 2006
- “Pennsylvania Bad Faith,” National Business Institute seminars, 2006 – 2008
- Mealey’s Bad Faith Litigation Conference, 2007, speaker
- New York
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York